Saturday 18 September 2010

Chores of a roadman

Well all bikies at some stage have to do a bit of cleaning, maintenance,and general servicing to keep their bikes running well. Most people who know me laugh because I never wash my van yet I go overboard with my bikes. I prefer to do all the work myself. When your riding hundreds of miles a week you dont go long before things start to go wrong with your bike if you dont look after it.
Lots of riders panic when you mention touching a bike but really they are simple. With a few tools you can carry out virtually most of the work. Bike shops are starting to get very expensive nowadays with the boom in bikes.
Today was Bottom Bracket cleaning. I take my bottom brackets out regular as they get very dirty inside and on steel frames especially they can start to rust if they are not checked and cleaned often.


Ive had this bottom bracket out three times in a few short months and each time its been full of muck. It takes about 20 minutes to complete the job. I was quoted about £45.00 recently to do the job at my local bikeshop.

Spinning nicely again, plenty of water repellant grease

My toolbox. Bike tools are not cheap but once you have them the work is all free.

1 comment:

  1. hmmm, the saga of my bottom bracket has been going on for 3 weeks now...but i refuse to take it to a shop. more force and a hacksaw i think ;)

    ReplyDelete