Tuesday 26 April 2011

Anniversary Waltz Fell Race

April soon comes around and each year that means the Anniversary Waltz fell race. Its beome a firm favourite of mine. Wynn and Steve organise an amazing race and this year as I have found some form I was determined to beat 1hr 50mins for this route. You run out of Newlands, up Scope Beck and directly up the steep incline to Robinson, drop off then run down and around to Hindscarth, Top out on that summit then run around again to Dale Head summit cairn then down to the Tarn, jag left and up to High Spy then across Maiden Moor and onto Catbells before smiling at the tourists and plunge back down from whence you came.
Richard Asquith called it a classic lakeland horseshoe and it is. A bonus on route was bumping into Joss Naylor and saying a quick hello. Anyway I did beat 1 hr 50mins which absolutely wiped me out. As I came off Catbells the wheels were falling off. I collapsed at the finish which I have done in the last three races I have done. Not sure if thats a good thing or a bad thing really. A nice mug, tee shirt and some Pete Bland vouchers as a prize and a big smile on my face for a job well done. Thanks to Andy from Dark peak who ran with me from Hindscarth which helped. We worked together but he pulled away from Catbells but like all races we shook hands at the finish.
A great weekend with some great company. Quite a few Pennine runners making the trip up and telling me that this was their first lakeland fell race. I well remember all those years ago when it was mine.
If your ever going to do one Fell race in the lakes, make it this one.

Runners scramble up a steep part of the route( Hope my Mum and Mother in Law dont see this picture

Dale Head summit cairn. I always steal a view when I get here whether its on this race, BG support, Borrowdale Race etc etc etc. It is THE view in the Lake District.

1 comment:

  1. What a view from the cairn, gorgeous! Wonderful job on beating your time, very driven you are.

    ReplyDelete