Wednesday 25 May 2011

Cotswold Hilly 100 Relay Race

Last Sunday I ran the Cotswold Hilly 100 road relay race for Ilkeston Running club. We have done this relay a few times. 10 x legs each 10 miles.
The route sets off from Stratford On Avon, does a loop around the Cotswolds and then finishes back at Stratford much later in the day. The Leg that I normally run is Leg 4. This leg has some really steep climbs, four I think but I cannot remember as each time I do it the pain blocks out my memory.
I travelled down with my clubmate Colin who is a very similair paced runner to myself. He was doing Leg 3 which also has some tough climbs in it. Problem was the wind which was gusting north which meant we would both have a headwind. Now I was confident both of us could do 60 minutes for our legs but the wind was going to make it very hard. Although I dont have the official times we both did 62minutes which I am immensly proud of. Given that wind and the climbs it was a job well done. We didnt see many of the other legs as we had to get up at 4am and by the time we had finished we had to get home. The other team mates ran brilliantly and we finished quite high up in the field.
The route is marked with little green 100 stickers that can be quite difficultto find on the signposts, but after a few years I am used to them now.
You run through some amazing areas. Think 1 million per house and fantastic scenery. Not quite the fells but as hard as. My legs felt very strange after 10 miles of hard pounding on the black stuff.


1 comment:

  1. This is one of the first posts I didn't have to look at a map because I knew where you were speaking of. Sounds like a good ride!

    ReplyDelete