Monday 9 May 2011

A sad day


The world of cycling today is in shock. The young Lepoard Trek Rider Wouter Weylandt crashed during stage 3 of the Giro D Italia. He was descending the passo del bocca when he fell from his bike. Aged 26 the former Quick Step rider is very much tonight in my thoughts. I love professional cycling and I had forgotten to record today's stage after not setting the recorder after watching the previous stage last night. When I got home from work today I decided on an hour on my rollers. I switched my I pod on but after 30 minutes just clicked on the cycling App on my phone to check on the results of today's stage and immediately saw the desperate news that he had been killed on the race. Whether it was something to do with my misfortune yesterday or that I have such an affection for professional cycling I just started to cry. I managed about 5 more minutes on the rollers the just got off my bike and put it to one side and sat quietly on the shed door step. I removed my hat and just sat there thinking of what his family must be going through.
A terrible day and my thoughts are with his family and friends
RIP Wouter

1 comment:

  1. Daz, when I saw it on the news this evening I immediately thought of you and how you'd be affected by the news. It's tragic and very sad.

    ReplyDelete